Bellafill® for Acne Scars
How It Works
- Collagen gel (80%) forms the smooth base of Bellafill®, adding instant volume to depressed scars and raising them to a level that’s even with the surrounding skin.
- Polymethyl methacylate (PMMA) microspheres (20%) remain after the body absorbs the collagen gel, supporting the growth of your own natural collagen to supplant it.
Candidacy & Safety
Bellafill® is approved for use on men and women who are 21 and older. It works best on distensible and atrophic acne scars on the cheeks. Distensible scars smooth out when you tug on them; atrophic scars are pitted or depressed in the skin.
Bellafill® is safe on all skin types, textures, and colors, but patients require an allergy test before treatment.
Both the collagen gel and PMMA in Bellafill have established safety records. PMMA has long been used in other areas of medicine, such as orthopedic surgery, dentistry, and ophthalmology.
The Patient Experience
Bellafill® for acne is an outpatient procedure. Treatment begins by cleansing your skin and preparing it for treatment. A series of carefully placed injections then add volume to smooth away acne scars. Your treatment is relatively brief, and there is no downtime, so you may return to your normal activities as soon as you leave the treatment session.
Although significant side effects are uncommon, you may experience localized sensations, such as itching, bruising, swelling, redness, discoloration, bumps, or increased sensitivity. These effects are typically temporary and will go away on their own.
What treatment options currently exist for acne scars?
Topical treatments, chemical peels, dermabrasion, microneedling, and laser resurfacing are among the current available treatment options for acne scars. However, some of these treatments may require significant downtime. In some cases, results can take time to emerge – and other treatments often lack rigorous, controlled data to support their safety or efficacy.
Bellafill® is the only filler that’s approved by the FDA to treat acne scars, providing an entirely new treatment choice for patients.
Is Bellafill® safe?
Yes. Bellafill® is the only FDA-approved dermal filler for the correction of moderate to severe atrophic, distensible facial acne scars on the cheeks in patients 21 and over. Bellafill® has been proven to provide both immediate and lasting results in rigorous clinical studies, with demonstrated effectiveness, safety, and high rates of patient satisfaction.
As with many injectable fillers, you may experience bruising, itchiness, pain, swelling, redness, discoloration, lumpiness, bumps, acne, or increased sensitivity at the treatment site. These side effects usually go away by themselves within a few days.
How frequently should you have Bellafill® treatments?
In a clinical study on acne scarring, Bellafill® remained safe and effective for patients through twelve months. In a separate clinical study on smoothing out nasolabial folds (smile lines), its safety and effectiveness was established through five years. Your individual treatment plan will take these findings into account and develop a schedule that works best for you.
Bellafill® for Acne Scars Talking Points
- Bellafill® is FDA approved to treat atrophic, distensible acne scars on the cheek in patients 21 and older.
- U.S. patients must undergo allergy testing prior to treatment.
- Bellafill® is made of 80% bovine collagen gel and 20% polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) microspheres.
- PMMA microspheres form a supportive scaffold for the natural growth of collagen long after the collagen gel in the initial injections fades.
- Bellafill® is administered as an outpatient procedure.
- Bellafill® is formulated with 0.3% lidocaine for patient comfort.
- Patients may return to work and other activities immediately.
- Side effects are temporary and usually limited to the injection sites; they include itching, sensitivity, redness, and lumps.
- Results are instantly appreciable and clinically proven to last through twelve months.
- Although a single treatment is often sufficient, each patient metabolizes collagen at different rates, and additional touch-ups may be necessary.
Safety & Statistics
- 90% of patients were still satisfied with results twelve months after treatment.