Why My Technique is Different
The aging face experiences volume loss, we look tired, cranky and feel like our faces have dropped. Looking in the mirror becomes an unpleasant experience. I hear patients all the time say: “I didn’t used to look like this, people always ask me if I am tired!”
The combination of sun exposure, genetics, gravity and aging leads to the loss of fat, collagen, muscle and bone. Returning volume to the face can make us look refreshed and less tired, without looking like we’ve had something “done”.
My injection technique differs from many other cosmetic injectors. I prefer to use a blunt cannula when injecting volumizing fillers such as Bellafill and some Hyaluronic Acid fillers. A blunt cannula is a technique using a blunt, rounded, needle instead of a sharp needle to inject. The filler is still placed in the same locations; however, a blunt cannula is used to reach the areas needed to be treated.
What is the advantage of using a blunt cannula?
- One insertion point treats multiple areas which to the patient equals less needle pokes for a more comfortable procedure.
- Safety is increased – cannulas don’t enter blood vessels as easily as a sharp needle. Bruising and swelling is decreased by over 90%.
- Areas around the eyes and around the lips that are known for bruising or swelling are able to be injected without any visible signs.
- Most people have less healing time and are more comfortable during the procedure.
So why don’t all Injectors use a blunt cannula? Most Injectors are not trained on the technique or lack experience to be able to handle a cannula in their treatments. Cannulas are also much more expensive than the needle that comes packaged with the syringe of filler.
My injection technique using the blunt cannula allows my patients to come in for injection and have a good chance leaving without any signs of the injection. Injectables, like medicine are a combination of art and science. The science is in the product and how it will respond in where it is placed. The art is in the skill and talent of your artist, the injector.
I love being able to use my art degree daily in the work I love, sculpting faces. I enjoy showing clients my before and after pictures and talking about how fillers could help refresh a face. Reach out to me if you are interested in a consultation.
Jill Porter, RN @ Innovative Directions in Health in Edina, MN
Do you suffer from Migraines?
Migraines are headaches and are usually pounding and one sided. They are associated with nausea and light sensitivity.
They can be debilitating and last for days. Research over the past several years has shown that they may be associated with increased risk of stroke.
Elevated blood homocysteine levels, which are markers of systemic inflammation, are also associated with both stroke risk and migraine.
Triggers for migraines can be food, wine, lack of sleep, stress etc. Hormone imbalances (such as high estrogen and low progesterone in PMS times) can trigger migraines as well. Proper hormone replacement using natural bioidentical progesterone often helps prevent these cyclical migraines.
Supplements that are often helpful in migraine prevention and are available in our clinic are: coenzyme Q-10, magnesium and high quality B-complex vitamins.
If you suffer from migraines, if may be a good idea to have your homocysteine levels checked at your next IDH appointment or with your family doctor.
–Rich Sinda, DO
EXTREME PROTECT SPF 30
Hydrating, Restorative, Ultimate Protection
EXTREME PROTECT SPF 30 provides extraordinary protection by combining broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection and powerful antioxidants to mitigate oxidative solar damage. Featuring micro-fine zinc oxide and micro-encapsulated organic active sunscreens, EXTREME PROTECT SPF 30 offers advanced sun protection.
This is a fabulous physical formula, 30 SPF. Glides on, leaves zero residue and leaves your skin feeling soft and moisturized. It’s great to wear under makeup and keeps the freckles away.
• Provides unprecedented multi-level broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection
• Protects against environmental damage with Extremozyme® technology
• Reduces the appearance of erythema (sunburn)
• Hydrates, smoothes and softens
• Diminishes the appearance of fine lines & wrinkles
• Provides an antioxidant-rich protective barrier
How to use: Last step in the morning before makeup or by itself if you’re zooming out the door. Great to use on kids!
- Octinoxate 5.5% | Safe, organic broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen, encapsulated for better efficacy and safety
- Zinc Oxide 4.12% | Safe, physical broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen provides a physical barrier to absorb UV radiation
- Vitamin E & Aloe | A highly effective moisturizer, hydrator and antioxidant that protects against UV photo-damage
Protect your skin all year long. Stop by or contact our clinic in Edina. No appointment needed!
Are you tired of hearing how tired you look??
As I consult with my clients, one of the top concerns that almost always comes up is their desire to look more rested.
Under-eye puffiness, bags, fine lines under the eyes…these are all are common complaints I hear from women. However, there is another concern that is coming up even more and that is under-eye hollows. Women who experience them say they feel like they look tired even when they aren’t. They are often asked the dreaded question “Are you tired today?” by multiple people throughout the day.
Yes, topical products containing the ingredients caffeine, vitamin K, retinol and vitamin C, just to name a few can help to an extent with the appearance of the area. They do help with discoloration, increasing collagen, brightening the area and reducing puffiness, BUT when volume loss is the culprit for this less-than-desirable hollowed-out effect, fillers are the answer.
I’ll tell you why. A few things happen at the same time that really have a significant effect:
1. The fat pads that line this area separate and drop leaving the area with a hollow look.
2. There is also a loss (deterioration) of bone as we age leaving the face with less structural support.
3. The under eye skin area that is already thin begins to lose elastin and collagen support and begins to sag.
Below is a picture of one of my clients who was experiencing fine lines, hollows under her eyes and was sporting a “very tired look”. I injected under her eyes with Vobella dermal filler and immediately her eyes looked more refreshed and younger. She did not have any swelling or bruising and was very pleased with her natural looking fix for her tired looking eyes.
Vobella is new to the market and is a softer hyaluronic acid filler that lasts approximately a year. I also frequently inject Bellafill (the five year filler that grows your own collagen) under the eyes with the same beautiful results.
I believe dermal fillers under the eyes produce fabulous results, but I do caution patients to only seek out healthcare professionals who have appropriate training, experience, and knowledge of facial anatomy. (I have seen the consequences of patients seeing an inexperienced injector).
It is always best to have a consultation first to determine which dermal filler (there are many different kinds on the market) would be best for you and the area you want treated.
I would be happy to meet with you and help you to achieve the results you desire. You can call the clinic at (952)922-2345 or contact me here.
Jill, RN & Injector at Innovative Directions in Health
To ensure you get the best possible results after your wrinkle fighting treatment here are some things you should and should not do before and after you get Botox or Dysport.
These treatments relax and soften fine lines and wrinkles
Botox and Dysport are most often used on forehead lines, crow’s feet (lines around the eye) and frown lines.
BEFORE Treatment Checklist
- First and foremost select an experienced provider – Choosing a provider who knows and understands the anatomy of the face and has several years of experience injecting is very important. Good results depend on the skill and technique of the injector, so do your research.
- Discuss your ideal results – Talk to your provider about what areas bother you. Botox and Dysport injections are customizable varying by how much muscle movement you desire. In addition, there may be a different treatment better suited for the area you want treated.
- Stop taking medications that can thin the blood 4 days prior to treatment to minimize potential bruising. Taking Tylenol for pain medication is okay.
* Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Excedrin, Motrin
* John’s Wart, Vitamin E, Fish Oil, Ginkgo Biloba, Ginseng, Flax Seed Oil
* Alcohol – avoid 48 hours prior to treatment
- Start taking Arnica tablets if you bruise easily 4 days prior. Arnica pills (not gel) can help prevent bruising. Follow the label instructions continue use for 2 days after injections.
AFTER Treatment Checklist
- Do not touch the area injected until injection sites have closed. You can gently cleanse your face before bed but blot dry, do not rub dry with a towel.
- To avoid having the Botox or Dysport spread into other unintended muscles:
* Do not rub or massage the treated area for 24 hours. Avoid getting a massage or facial as well.
* Do not lay down for 4 hours after treatment.
* Avoid strenuous physical activity especially jumping up and down day of injections.
* Do not wear a hat. You want to avoid having anything pushing down on the forehead if treated there.
* Avoid a jacuzzi, hot tub or sauna as the heat can cause the Botox / Dysport to spread.
- Over-use your muscles the day of injections. Making a lot of facial expressions will work the Botox and Dysport into your muscle.
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours after treatment.
- If you get a bruise, topical arnica gel or vitamin K gel can help to make it go away faster.
- Full results typically take 10-14 days. A touch-up may be needed to tweak your results. Wait until at least 10 days to contact your provider.
Reviewing this list before receiving a Botox or Dysport injection will improve your experience and help to ensure you receive the best results.
Our Nurse Injectors always offer free Botox consultations and check-in visits. If you would like to see if a Botox/Dysport treatment will give you the results you desire, give us a call at (952)922-2345 and chat over the phone or make an appointment.
Life expectancy increased by 5 years between 2000 and 2015, the fastest increase since the 1960s.
With this being said, we can expect to live a substantial part of our lives in a state of hormonal deficiency.
Hormonal decline and imbalance during the states of menopause and andropause are associated with experiencing mildly annoying to completely debilitating symptoms as well as an increase in diseases such as heart disease. Effects of insufficient hormones include bone loss, cognitive decline, loss of muscle mass, thinning of skin and much more.
Without hormones, we cannot live. So why is there often so much confusion about bio-identical hormone therapy? We experience misunderstanding often between our patients and their family physicians.
There are two main reasons why:
- Exogenous chemicals (drug hormones; i.e. Provera, Medroxyprogesterone, Premarin, etc.), different from the actual hormone they are meant to replace, are used interchangeably in clinical practice, the popular press, and inprestigious medical journals, producing much of the controversy that surrounds hormone replacement.
- Billions of dollars can purchase a lot of advertising to sway the public and manipulate sponsors for physician educational events.
The article “Point Counterpoint bioidentical hormones” published in the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons speaks well to answer why there is so much confusion around human hormone therapy. It is also a great reference article available for you to print out and bring in to your family doctor.
It is a priority for us to help you get started on the road to *feeling better* with bioidentical hormones. Through knowledge, support and education about bio-identicals, you will be empowered to get the natural treatment you are looking for to eliminate the difficult symptoms of PMS, peri-menopause, menopause, postmenopause and andropause.
Schedule your follow up appointment or new patient appointment with Dr. Sinda today.
Congratulations LINDA WONG, winner of the $800 Bellafill Treatment in our ‘Guess How Many Collagen Microspheres contest’! She guessed 250, the lucky number was 261. Thanks to everyone who participated!
Learn more about Bellafill at our upcoming Informational Session:
Wednesday, Feb 15 | 12-1pm – RSVP below
Did you know that with Bellafill, the body is able to reverse backwards and re-grow lost tissue which is the actual cause of the aging face?
Although temporary fillers provide beautiful results, they are simply are not effective in the long run. The hyaluronic acid is absorbed by the body and requires repeated injections to maintain the benefit.
Bellafill is not absorbed into the body due its unique patented microspheres. The beads act as a bio-stimulant simulating your cells to make new tissue and collagen creating a longer lasting and natural method of reducing wrinkles.
Formal FDA studies have shown that Bellafill will last at least 5 years. Bellafill is extremely safe and well tested. It is the only FDA approved “permanent” filler. In essence, patients “own” their new youthful looks rather than renting them as with temporary dermal fillers. While Bellafill’s effect does not last forever due to the natural aging process, it continues to be a strong structural base to build upon.
Our Nurse, Jill has worked a lot with Bellafill and is one of the top 1% providers in the US. She would be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have about this treatment. Contact Jill.
Bring a friend and join us in our clinic on Wednesday, 2/15 from 12-1pm to learn more about Bellafill. RSVP here:
There are many benefits of having a healthy body composition.
By reducing your overall amount of body fat, you can improve your body composition and overall quality of life, as well as extend your lifespan.
Here are just some of the benefits of having a healthy body composition:
- Normal blood pressure level
- Improved quality of sleep
- Improved mood and self-confidence
- Increased energy and endurance throughout the day
- Reduced pain in joints, hips, and lower back
- Improved blood circulation — leading to lower risk for heart disease
- Improved breathing, respiration, and lung function
- Improved glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity
In our office, we measure Body Composition by Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA). Our body composition analyzer provides an estimated measurement based on body type for the values below:
- Body Fat % – Fat % is amount of body fat as a proportion of body weight.
- Fat Mass – Total weight of fat mass in the body.
- Fat Free Mass (FFM) – Fat Free Mass is comprised of muscle, bone, tissue, water and all other fat free mass in the body.
- Water Mass – The amount of water retained by the body. Water plays a vital role in many of the body’s processes and is found in every cell, tissue and organ. Maintaining a healthy total body water percentage will ensure the body functions efficiently. It is important to look for long-term changes in total body water percentage and maintain a consistent, healthy total body water percentage. Average ranges for healthy adults are: Female 45 – 60%; Male 50 – 65%.
- Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) – The minimum level of energy (i.e. calories) your body needs when at rest to function effectively including your respiratory and circulatory organs, neural system, liver, kidneys and other organs. About 70% of calories consumed every day are used for your basal metabolism. Having a higher basal metabolism will increase the number of calories used and help to decrease the amount of body fat. A low basal metabolic rate will make it harder to lose body fat and overall weight. BMR is the first step in getting an idea of how much fuel you need to keep your engine roaring all day long – It is the minimum number of calories you should eat on a daily basis.
- Body Mass Index (BMI) – BMI can be used to indicate if you are overweight, obese, underweight or normal. A healthy BMI score is between 18.5 and 25.Use this Online BMI calculator.
How can a machine measure all of this Information?
The machine is able to get this information by measuring bioelectrical impedance in the body. Fat within the body allows almost no electricity to pass through, while electricity passes rather easily though water, much of which is found in muscles. The degree of difficulty with which electricity passes through a substance is known as the electrical resistance, and the percentage of fat and other body constituents can be inferred from measurements of this resistance.
Recheck your Body Composition
Remember — when it comes to health, every little bit counts, and even a modest weight loss of 5 to 10% of your body weight significantly lowers your obesity-related disease risk. If you’re not sure where to begin, consult nutrition and fitness professionals for help with your diet and exercise regimens.
We would be happy to recheck your body composition at any time, stop in or call to set up an appointment with our Nurse to monitor your progress.