Checklist: Botox / Dysport Do’s and Don’ts
To ensure you get the best possible results after your wrinkle fighting treatment here are some things you should and should not do before and after you get Botox or Dysport.
These treatments relax and soften fine lines and wrinkles
Botox and Dysport are most often used on forehead lines, crow’s feet (lines around the eye) and frown lines.
BEFORE Treatment Checklist
- First and foremost select an experienced provider – Choosing a provider who knows and understands the anatomy of the face and has several years of experience injecting is very important. Good results depend on the skill and technique of the injector, so do your research.
- Discuss your ideal results – Talk to your provider about what areas bother you. Botox and Dysport injections are customizable varying by how much muscle movement you desire. In addition, there may be a different treatment better suited for the area you want treated.
- Stop taking medications that can thin the blood 4 days prior to treatment to minimize potential bruising. Taking Tylenol for pain medication is okay.
* Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Excedrin, Motrin
* John’s Wart, Vitamin E, Fish Oil, Ginkgo Biloba, Ginseng, Flax Seed Oil
* Alcohol – avoid 48 hours prior to treatment
- Start taking Arnica tablets if you bruise easily 4 days prior. Arnica pills (not gel) can help prevent bruising. Follow the label instructions continue use for 2 days after injections.
AFTER Treatment Checklist
- Do not touch the area injected until injection sites have closed. You can gently cleanse your face before bed but blot dry, do not rub dry with a towel.
- To avoid having the Botox or Dysport spread into other unintended muscles:
* Do not rub or massage the treated area for 24 hours. Avoid getting a massage or facial as well.
* Do not lay down for 4 hours after treatment.
* Avoid strenuous physical activity especially jumping up and down day of injections.
* Do not wear a hat. You want to avoid having anything pushing down on the forehead if treated there.
* Avoid a jacuzzi, hot tub or sauna as the heat can cause the Botox / Dysport to spread.
- Over-use your muscles the day of injections. Making a lot of facial expressions will work the Botox and Dysport into your muscle.
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours after treatment.
- If you get a bruise, topical arnica gel or vitamin K gel can help to make it go away faster.
- Full results typically take 10-14 days. A touch-up may be needed to tweak your results. Wait until at least 10 days to contact your provider.
Reviewing this list before receiving a Botox or Dysport injection will improve your experience and help to ensure you receive the best results.
Our Nurse Injectors always offer free Botox consultations and check-in visits. If you would like to see if a Botox/Dysport treatment will give you the results you desire, give us a call at (952)922-2345 and chat over the phone or make an appointment.
Published on: 2017-02-23