Follow these sun protection tips to help prepare you for a day out in the sun.
1. Choose a good sunscreen. Look for full protection from both UVA (wrinkle causing rays) and UVB (which are the sun burning rays). The most important thing to look for in your sunscreen is to make sure it says “broad spectrum”. Ingredients with broad-spectrum protection include benzophenones (oxybenzone), cinnamates (octylmethyl cinnamate and cinoxate), sulisobenzone, salicylates, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, avobenzone and ecamsule.
2. Make sure you have a high enough SPF to really make sure you are protected. An SPF of at least 30 is recommended, which filters out about 97% of UVB rays.
3. Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours. One of the biggest mistakes people make is not reapplying sunscreen. People who get sunburned usually didn’t use enough sunscreen, didn’t reapply it after being in the sun, or used an expired product. Your skin is exposed to the sun’s harmful UV rays every time you go outside, even on cloudy days and in the winter.
4. Wear protective clothing and accessories. Sun protective clothes are made with materials designed to block out damaging sunlight. Look for a UPF rating—the equivalent of SPF, but for clothing. A shirt with a UPF of 50 allows just 1/50th of the sun's ultraviolet rays to reach your skin. That would provide excellent sun protection, in contrast to a thin, white cotton T-shirt, which has a UPF of about 5. That allows 1/5th of the sun's ultraviolet rays through—and even more when the T-shirt is wet. Wide brim hats are in style…so don’t shy away from the long-sleeve cover ups and big hats. This makes being out in the sun all day so much easier and makes for happier skin afterwards.
5. Pick out a sunscreen you’ll use. Not all sunscreens are equal. Some are stickier, thicker, thinner than others….so this may be the most important tip we have. Get a sunscreen you don’t mind putting on and chances are you’ll be more apt to do it! We refer to the sunscreen that we offer in the clinic as “cosmetically elegant”.
Our favorite sunscreen for daily facial use is Revision Intellishade tinted spf45 sunscreen. It is a thicker moisturizer giving you both high sun protection for your face, as well as, coverage for blemishes and even skin tone. It comes in a regular, matte or the newest form TruPhysical, an all mineral coverage…. appealing to people with oily, normal/combination and dry skin.
Try out Intellishade for 1/2 off! Join us on Thursday, July 18th for our Sunscreen SWAP Out Event! Add this event to your Facebook calendar so you don't forget!
Published on: 06-28-2018